Affordable Housing Development Consultant
Community Housing. What an issue; so vast and far reaching, so complex touching all sectors and industries. From affordability, or the decreasing ability for even moderate-income individuals and families to sustain themselves, to accessibility, to the growing number of individuals and now families that are slipping into the social housing system or worse, into homelessness.
At Urban Matters CCC, we believe that shelter is a basic human right, and we are developing a suite of projects and initiatives to address how we can improve housing outcomes for everyone. Our work ranges from homelessness needs assessments and change implementation, to community housing studies and opportunity assessment, to local government policy & action. In support of our mission to move from strategy to implementation, we are exploring a host of community housing initiatives, including housing developments, new community housing organizations, and unique social finance models.
To help us achieve this, we aim to hire an Affordable Housing Development Consultant, to join our Community Housing team and accelerate our project capacities across Canada. We’re looking for a leader with entrepreneurial spirit, a community housing expert, and established credibility in housing development and finance. We expect that this will include, but not be limited to:
- Wide ranging and always growing knowledge of the different kinds of housing solutions available to meet the needs of our vulnerable populations.
- Expertise and understanding of housing development – from concept development, proforma calculations, and development approvals, to project partnerships, innovative project financing options, and project management.
- Credibility and comfort exploring unique solutions to community housing challenges in our communities – from exploring land banks, housing organizations, and social enterprise business models to understanding the partnerships and levers required to get these to implementation.
- Ability to play a lead role in shaping and managing our portfolio of projects, and drive to make it happen.
- Expertise and understanding of provincial and federal policy contexts surrounding community housing, including a strong working knowledge of and comfort with local government housing strategy.
- A desire to share and present learnings, as a thought leader, to inspire others and scale our successes.
What do we mean by ‘Community Housing’?
Definitions matter and we recognize that the housing spectrum is fraught with uncertainty and individual interpretation. To be clear, this role is primarily focused upon innovation and solutions to support a range of non-market and market housing for all populations experiencing housing insecurity.
Who are you?
In addition to the above, we expect that you will have 5-10+ years of progressive experience in Affordable/Community Housing & Development supported by a related post-secondary diploma/degree.
You will live in Alberta or Saskatchewan (ideally Calgary), but be willing to travel as necessary. You are a social entrepreneur, with the heart of a community advocate and the mind of a business strategist. Solutions and outcomes focused, impatient with the status quo, and motivated to implement change. You develop relationships and partnerships naturally and people and organizations are naturally drawn to you.
You work exceptionally well with others and have a tendency to make everyone around you a little better.
Together, we need to move the needle and improve housing outcomes for those who need it most.
Who are we?
Urban Matters CCC is one of Canada’s new C3 social enterprises; a Community Contribution Company
that is designed to address all elements of community development for our most vulnerable populations.
We focus on achieving real impact in community, and do so through strategic consulting that links to
on-the-ground results, and supporting/launching new social ventures. With the heart of a community organization and the ethos of a business, we act as an implementation partner to help make the big
Our specialized team of consultants brings together community development and social innovation competencies that include collective impact, change management, governance and social value capture, with technical expertise in professional disciplines such as engineering, community planning, and management consulting.
We stress that our ambitions are to be impactful in the practical and applied sense. This is action-oriented, we use lots of verbs, we aspire to get things done and make the changes happen. We believe that many of the great ideas that begin to address many of our toughest issues are already out there, and the challenge lies in scaling and implementation. Our measures of success are practical, will include how many individuals we help to successfully and sustainably house, and the innovation and sustainability of our business models to support their transitions over the longer term.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Please reply in confidence to email@example.com by 4pm MST on Wednesday February 7th, 2018.