Social Planning Consultant
Community Scale Social Development. While Canadian communities top many lists of desirable places to live, most still struggle with aspects of social development. After decades of focus on the physical infrastructure development of communities in Canada, we’ve seen a shift in the last few years to growing awareness of social development needs within them. We now recognize that it is the ties between people, the bonds and relationships between individuals, organizations, businesses and institutions that ultimately lead to the community resiliency we all aspire to achieve.
At Urban Matters CCC, we believe that communities of all sorts and sizes will need supportive partners on their journey toward social development awareness, and we are developing a suite of processes, projects and initiatives to help them in doing so. To do this, we aim to hire a Social Planning Lead to join our Advisory Services Team and accelerate our capacities across Canada. We’re looking for a leader with entrepreneurial spirit, an expert consultant in applied social planning and development, and established credibility in Western Canada. We expect activities will include, but not be limited to:
- Dialogue. Innovative approaches of engaging disparate and aligned community ‘actors’ in meaningful conversation about tough issues ranging from inclusion and racism, to opioid dependency, to settlement and immigration, and to reconciliation.
- Process. Moving away from the traditional ‘top down’ deficiency-based process and moving toward asset-based community-building thinking; inviting everyone to the table to help us work through the toughest issues of our time.
- Partnerships. Brokering and building the unlikely alliances and partnerships that are going to be essential to see change through to measurable outcomes.
- Planning. Reinventing the ‘social plan’. Static paper documents can’t be the deliverable anymore. Creatively coordinating the development of a multi-party plan that we can all commit to and finding new ways to keep it alive and active.
- Implementation. Providing on-going support to communities to animate social change over the longer run, creating and maintaining momentum, functioning as a backbone organization, incubating new social enterprises to fill in the gaps where appropriate.
Who are you?
In addition to being confident and credible in all the above, we expect that you will have 5-10+ years of progressive experience in community scale and implementation focused social planning, supported by a related post-secondary diploma/degree. We expect that you will live in Western Canada and are willing and able to travel as necessary. You are a social entrepreneur, with the heart of a community advocate and the mind of a business strategist. Solutions and outcomes focused, impatient with the status quo, and motivated to implement change. You develop relationships and partnerships easily and people and organizations are naturally drawn to you. You work exceptionally well with others and tend to make everyone around you a little better.
Who are we?
Urban Matters CCC is one of Canada’s new C3 social enterprises; a Community Contribution Company that is designed to address all elements of community development for our most vulnerable populations. We focus on achieving real impact in community and do so through advisory services that link to on-the-ground results and supporting/launching new social ventures. With the heart of a community organization and the ethos of a business, we act as an implementation partner to local governments and First Nations to help make the big ideas happen.
Our specialized team of consultants bring together community development and social innovation competencies that include collective impact, change management, governance and social value capture, with technical expertise in professional disciplines such as engineering, community planning, and management consulting.
We stress that our ambitions are to be impactful in the practical and applied sense. This is action-oriented, we use lots of verbs, we aspire to get things done and make change happen. We believe that great ideas that can begin to address many of our toughest issues are out there, and the challenge lies in scaling and implementation.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Please reply in confidence to email@example.com by 4pm PST on Friday, April 13th, 2018.